You are here:
EPA Revolving Loan
United States Environmental Protection Agency Brownfields Revolving Loan Fund
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) National Brownfields Revolving Loan Fund (BRLF)
dollars provide an additional source of funding beyond Cuyahoga County's Brownfield Redevelopment Fund (BRF) for cleaning up and revitalizing brownfield sites throughout the county. Brownfield Redevelopment Division Staff prepare and submit competitive grant applications to the U.S. EPA in order to receive these funds.
Using U.S. EPA BRLF funds, the County is able to make low-interest loans to eligible public and private entities that have control or access to the property, including property owners, developers, and nonprofits. Projects are selected using the successful criterion that has been established through the County's BRF program on a first come first serve basis. In addition, the Department of Development works closely with applicants and Certified Environmental Professionals on projects to determine the feasibility, applicability, and benefit in using BRLF funds for the cleanup activities.
- RLF dollars are focused on cleanup activities associated with hazardous substance contamination at brownfield sites.
- Cleanup activities must be done under Ohio EPA Voluntary Action Program (VAP) Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) track and be issued a No Further Action (NFA) letter (with the exception of projects in which funding is used only for Asbestos or Lead Abatement during rehabilitation or demolition and for the clean-up of PCB's or other substances not regulated by the Ohio EPA).
- All funding must comply with "cross-cutting" federal requirements such as Davis-Bacon prevailing wage rates.
- The County cannot fund cleanup activities at petroleum-contaminated brownfields.
- Borrowers cannot be potentially responsible parties (PRPs) or responsible parties.
- Effectively administer the $4.5 million awarded through multiple cooperative agreements with the USEPA.
For further assistance, please contact one of the Brownfields staff.